Garrett's Release


It was such a bittersweet weekend.  We met with President Chad Larsen and he released Garrett as Bishop of the Auburn Hills Ward. We had a sweet conversation together.  Garrett was quite emotional. He has loved serving and has made sweet friendships.  Because of COVID, this was the 1st Sunday that we have been able to actually have sacrament meeting in the Chapel.  (Although with a whole lot of restrictions).  Only a few select family's were able to attend.  (Old Bishopric, New Bishopric, Ward Council, and new family's to the ward).  It was such a tender meeting.  Garrett, Dan Morris (the new Bishop), and President Larsen spoke.  I am so proud of Garrett and his devotion to his callings.  I have always admired his love for our Savior.  

Initially, I was invited to share my testimony with Garrett - but then at the last minute the 3 men spoke.  Because I get super nervous and draw a blank when I speak in public . . . I wrote down my testimony.  Though I didn't share it publicly, I want my posterity to know that I have a strong testimony of the gospel also.  Here is what I would have shared:
What a whirlwind of a month it has been for our family.  An unexpected job opportunity has put us in a tailspin.  It’s been a heart wrenching decision to move because we have loved living here for the past 7 1/2 years.  

When Garrett was called to be the bishop, we had a 1, 3, 5 and 7 yr old.  I remember my 7 yr old crying and being so adamant that she didn’t want her dad to be bishop because he wouldn’t be able to sit with her during Sacrament meetings anymore.  (I have to admit I kind of felt the same way!)  And my 3 yr old was on the verge of tears saying over and over, “Dad is the bishop?  No … he is my dad!”  We have come a long way since then.  It’s amazing to look back on these 4 1/2 years and truly see the Lord’s hand in all things.  It’s been a sweet experience to watch Garrett serve over the years.  He loves you and he prayers continually for you all.  

I have felt so humbled by the outpouring of love by members of our ward. We ca't thank you enough for your prayers and love.  It has meant so much to us..  What a great ward we have!  You have all been an influence for good in our lives and we will treasure your friendships always!  You will be so missed!  My sweet friend, Diana, is such a tender blessing to me.  She sat with me every week in church and helped me with my children.  She is such a gift to this ward and serves so many constantly. 

The thought that has constantly gone through my mind throughout this whole process is how very humbling it is that the Lord calls and trusts IMPERFECT people to help in His great work.  And in doing so, he magnifies and qualifies us to fulfill these callings that we receive, especially when we feel inadequate.  Whether it is a Bishop, primary pianist, teacher  . . .etc.  As we fulfill our callings, we help the gospel work go forward.  I have such a strong testimony of this and I am grateful to be apart of His work.

I have a simple yet sweet testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am so thankful to be a member of this church.  I marvel at the faithfulness which Joseph Smith displayed at a young age in seeking out truth.  I know that he was called and chosen to do a great work in restoring the gospel in its fullest to the earth again.  I am thankful for the words of God that are contained in the scriptures that have brought me closer to my Savior through its teachings.  I know the power of prayer and fasting is real.  I have felt the precious burnings within as well as the quiet confirmations of the Spirit witnessing to me that these things are true.   For all of these things and more, I express my great gratitude to my Heavenly Father always.  

I leave my testimony with you in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Belated Bolder Boulder Post

Lily is Home!

Lily Updike