"Pooping"... oops, I mean "Going #2"

So Christina and I have had an ongoing debate about what we should use as terminology when our children take care of their "bathroom business." She hates the word "poop." She thinks it sounds crass. She would rather us use "#2" or "crap." (I still don't understand how "crap" is any less crass than "poop." OK, so she really doesn't want to use "crap," but she does like it better than the word "poop.") I think using "#2" is quite difficult and not as efficient in describing what is actually happening. I mean, what do we say... "Uh oh, it looks like Lily is #2-ing again." Or maybe "I think Lily has a #2 filled diaper." Oh well, whatever we decide to use, it is absolutely hilarious when she actually does it. Here is a video we took the other day. We promise that her eyes don't normally look like this. But when she starts pushing... all that work causes some funny faces. We figure we can use this as blackmail when she wants to go out on dates or when the boys start to visit. Enjoy.

Comments

Irish Cream said…
Ahhh, you've joined the ranks of true parenthood. Only a parent can talk/discuss/laugh about their kids bodily functions- an embarrassed or frustrated laugh at times, but laugh none-the-less.

As for what to call it, in reference to the act, I suppose BM is easier than #2 (fewer syllables, and hums of the tongue), but as for a noun? Dirty diaper is what we use sometimes... but we usually call it poop (or poopy when they're little). My husband is all for economy of syllables (He says "pop"; I say "soda").

In fact, my sister would laugh when she said "potty words" like poop. So, maybe that is why they don't bother me.

Still, I have to agree- there are few "p" words I find very appealing. I still can't stand it when people say "panties". We call them underwear (or big-girl pants, while potty-training).

BTW, I love the videos! Lily is getting so cuddly, and growing so fast!
Kindt Family said…
Hahaha great videos! I love the face that the 2nd video ends on. As for the bodily functions, Joe and I say poop & pee-pee without a problem (kinda like your problem, I don't really enjoy saying any of the other poop name options any more or less than just saying 'poop', so I just settled on it anyway); but, as a suggestion: Joe grew up in a house where all the girls called it "stinky". Maybe that would work for you guys. Good luck! :)
The Robins Nest said…
That is the funniest video! I love it. Can't wait to see Lily but I'll let you take care of the dirty diapers. :)
WOLF-PACK said…
You guys are too funny!! By the time the 3rd or 4th kid is here and you've been changing diapers for 5 yrs. You'll be surprised when "crap" comes out of your mouth ;)
Updike Update said…
that is way too funny. sometimes when isaac is trying to go his face gets super bright red, but i think nothing can compare to those faces that lily makes. classic.
That is just too cute. It is so funny to think that you have to discuss all of the terminology when you have children. I love that cute face.
Jen K. said…
How funny! Oh the joys of being a parent! I love all the videos you share, it kinda makes me baby hungry! Christina, that is funny you don't like to say poop. You could just say she has a mess in her pants!

And thanks, I have really appreciated all your support with my mom! It is good to know that even after all these years we still have great friends out there! Let me know if you make a visit to UT soon, I would love to get together!
Oh my goodness! The videos and terminology discussion are hilarious! I'm with you on all accounts. And I really wish we'd gotten a similar video of Trenton at that age--it's priceless!

She's really going to love that when she's older. :)
Anonymous said…
This is the funniest post ever! The faces are hilarious! Isn't it amazing the ridiculous sounds/expressions/odors that accompany #2-ing? lol. Amazing how quickly you become those parents discussing poo!
I love your header! All the pics of your sweetheart are darling, and I really love the ones of just you two as well!
Brandi said…
Okay, that was hilarious. I am laughing out loud. Poor Lily, everybody laughing at her expensen.
Glad you shared. Hope you are doing well. She is a doll, even if she does make funny faces when she "Messes her pants". There is another term that would be politically correct :)
Kimberlee said…
I think many of us have had the "teminology" discussion. I also think poop is a gross word but crap is no better. We use "potty" and "stinky" McKenna said "kinky" for a long time. Now we are trying to get her to say "go to the bathroom" instead of specifying each time "I need to go STINKY!" in public.
Cute pics of Lily.

Popular posts from this blog

Belated Bolder Boulder Post

Lily is Home!

Lily Updike