Out of the mouth of babes . . .
Garrett and I had the great opportunity to go to the Chicago temple the other day. We each took turns watching Lily in the car while the other one did a session in the temple. I had such a sweet experience with Lily while we were waiting for Garrett.
She had been acting really unsettled for about an hour so I tried to sway her back and forth in my arms to soothe her into going to sleep. Sometimes when she starts to go to sleep she goes into a trance like state (not completely asleep, but not awake either). While she was in this trance, all of a sudden she gets this big old smile on her face and she starts giggling. She did it like 3 times. It was so sweet! I just felt overwhelming feelings of love for her at this moment. I was so happy to have witnessed this little experience.
As we made the 2 1/2 hour drive home, my thoughts kept going back to the sweet experience I had with Lily. Garrett and I discussed the reasons of why she might be giggling.
Obviously, only a few weeks ago, Lily was in the presence of Heavenly Father, the Savior, and many members of our family who have already departed or who will be joining us later. It was neat to "speculate" who she might be talking to and laughing with. We both have hopes that our grandfathers have already played a part in comforting her and teaching her from the other side. And maybe, since we were at the temple, some of those spirits were just a little bit closer to her. So maybe Grandpa Crossley was telling her a good story... or maybe Grandfather Lovett was teaching her how to swat flies... or maybe she was telling her future brothers and sisters how cool this earth is... we don't know, but it sure was a sweet experience for me and Garrett and I had a special feeling as we talked about it. What a priviledge it is to have this precious spirit in our family.
Something rang true in my mind and I knew that yes, the veil is certainly very thin for little children. A few weeks ago I had read the experiences of the Brother of Jared in the Book of Mormon. Because of his complete faith, the Lord could not withhold himself from Him. Why then, would a child, so pure and innocent, not receive the same blessing? It makes sense in my simple mind.
She had been acting really unsettled for about an hour so I tried to sway her back and forth in my arms to soothe her into going to sleep. Sometimes when she starts to go to sleep she goes into a trance like state (not completely asleep, but not awake either). While she was in this trance, all of a sudden she gets this big old smile on her face and she starts giggling. She did it like 3 times. It was so sweet! I just felt overwhelming feelings of love for her at this moment. I was so happy to have witnessed this little experience.
As we made the 2 1/2 hour drive home, my thoughts kept going back to the sweet experience I had with Lily. Garrett and I discussed the reasons of why she might be giggling.
Obviously, only a few weeks ago, Lily was in the presence of Heavenly Father, the Savior, and many members of our family who have already departed or who will be joining us later. It was neat to "speculate" who she might be talking to and laughing with. We both have hopes that our grandfathers have already played a part in comforting her and teaching her from the other side. And maybe, since we were at the temple, some of those spirits were just a little bit closer to her. So maybe Grandpa Crossley was telling her a good story... or maybe Grandfather Lovett was teaching her how to swat flies... or maybe she was telling her future brothers and sisters how cool this earth is... we don't know, but it sure was a sweet experience for me and Garrett and I had a special feeling as we talked about it. What a priviledge it is to have this precious spirit in our family.
Something rang true in my mind and I knew that yes, the veil is certainly very thin for little children. A few weeks ago I had read the experiences of the Brother of Jared in the Book of Mormon. Because of his complete faith, the Lord could not withhold himself from Him. Why then, would a child, so pure and innocent, not receive the same blessing? It makes sense in my simple mind.
Comments
Speaking of the big picture, I'm amazed that you've been to the temple already! Good for you!