The Hard Knocks of Life . . . Already.


My heart was broken a bit today . . . the hard knocks of life are already happening.  Sad!  I took the kids to the park today.  Lily always gets so excited to play with "her friends."  She is just a total social butterfly. 

I stood with Crew under a shade tree just a few feet away from where the playground was.  I watched as Lily ask 3 little girls if they would like to be her friend.  All of the girls just looked at her and said "No."  Cute Lily's comeback was: "Well that is the fun of playing with each other.  Do you want to play with me?"  Again, the girls said "no."  I was so disheartened for her.  It took everything I had not to go and save her.  She went down the slide a few times and then came to me and sadly told me that no one wanted to be her friend and play.  I asked her why, to which she replied: "I don't think they like me." 

I quickly told her how proud I was of her for trying to make friends.  (That is one of the things that I adore about Lily - she really is outgoing and not afraid to extend herself to meet people).  I reminded her that even though she loves Boston, she doesn't always want to play with him.  The same thing with the girls.  I think that eased her mind a bit and off she went to play again.

On the way home from the park we talked about the incident again.  I reiterated to her that when we are not nice to people they feel sad.  She spoke up and said: "I will always be nice to everyone!"  I believe it!  She is so sensitive!  What a good girl!  A good learning experience for both Lily and Mamma. 


Comments

The Robins Nest said…
That story was too much for Lily's pregnant aunt. Poor little Lily. You are such a great mom! I wish we could come over and play.
Poor girl. My kids would have jumped at the chance to play with her. I am glad my kids are friendly and don't turn other children away! They seek others out like your sweet Lily does. I hope she doesn't lose hope, and still continues to be the cute, friendly girl she is. It's so hard when these things happen to our kids...particularly the first one! I remember when another kid first pushed Tanner down when he was about 2 years old. Mama Bear was not happy! You have such darling kids!
Cindy Anderson said…
You are such a good mom, Christina! And I have a hunch those other girls are missing out on loads of fun with Lily!

Popular posts from this blog

Belated Bolder Boulder Post

Lily is Home!

Lily Updike